Sunday, February 6, 2011

St. John Church

Just a brief walk from City Hall on the northern edge of downtown is Sam Houston Park, the city’s very first public park. Backlit by downtown’s skyscrapers and pinned in by major freeway arteries, these 20 acres house a collection of Houston’s past as several historic buildings have been relocated here and refurbished.

St. John Church was originally built in 1891 as the place of worship for a German speaking Evangelical congregation. In 1968 they donated it to the Heritage Society, and it was relocated here. It still has its original altar, pews and pulpit and highlights its simple neoclassic beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment